Community Beyond Violence is committed to educating western Nevada County and preventing domestic violence, human trafficking and sexual assault. Topics, especially for youth, emphasize healthy relationships, non-violent communication, and how to identify abusive behavior. We bring our education & prevention materials into the schools and to groups and organizations throughout the community.
-Healthy Relationships Presentations
Presentations on healthy and unhealthy characteristics of relationships, types of abuse, warning signs of abuse, consent and local resources presented by Community Beyond Violence staff.
-Children’s Art Circle
This is a safe space where art is used as a healing tool to help children who have experienced trauma express themselves, explore their feelings and create.
The group is for ages 5-12 and held at the client service center every Monday 3:30-4:30pm.
Please call the office in advance. Ask for Nancy Z. 272-2046
-Crisis Counseling in Schools
Community Beyond Violence staff are available for one on one meetings with students needing crisis counseling around dating violence, family violence and sexual assault.
Call CBV crisis line (530) 272-3467 to request for an advocate to respond to a school for crisis counseling with a student.
-Community Education and Outreach
- Informational booths at fairs and other events
- In-Services and trainings at other agencies and businesses
- Presentations to businesses and service groups on topics such as domestic violence, human trafficking, sexual assault, bystander engagement and healthy relationships.
-Girls Circle and The Council
(Suspended until we can secure more funding)
Structured support groups for girls/young women and boys/young men in middle school and high school ages 9—18 years
- Groups are offered at Western Nevada County middle schools and high schools
- Groups meet 1 time a week at school for 1 –1.5hrs (or a class period)
- Groups are made up of 6 to 10 students of similar age and same gender
- Topics include: Communication techniques, body and image, healthy relationships, healthy coping strategies, self-care,
Students are referred by school counselors, teachers or by parent request. Groups meet with a trained facilitator for ten weeks.